Friday 8 July 2011

When I need a good cry.

Last night, just as I was heading to bed, I happened to notice that the film, Steel Magnolias was on TV. This is one of my all-time favourite movies. It always makes me laugh and cry, in almost equal measures. I have never seen grief so boldly and accurately portrayed on screen.

There have been times in my life, when grief has piled upon grief, that I have felt an emotional numbness that is beyond tears. I have found myself raging over trivial frustrations, or lashing out at those I care about most, with little provocation. Sometimes, I have noticed that I hurt myself by bumping into walls, shutting cupboard doors on my fingers, tripping over things, all of which, I finally clue in, are designed to help me free up my tears so I can stop over-reacting to everyday situations. When I reach that state, I reach for Steel Magnolias, or Philadelphia Story, or Truly, Madly, Deeply. Sometimes we need a safe outlet for our tears, something that will allow us to access the deep grief we carry in silence day in and day out. A movie is the key for me. I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment